Monday, August 2, 2010

More Intelligent

Psalm 119:97-104 

Mem
 97 Oh, how I love your law!
       I meditate on it all day long. 
 98
 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
       for they are ever with me.
 99 I have more insight than all my teachers,
       for I meditate on your statutes.
 100 I have more understanding than the elders,
       for I obey your precepts.
 101 I have kept my feet from every evil path
       so that I might obey your word.
 102 I have not departed from your laws,
       for you yourself have taught me.
 103 How sweet are your words to my taste,
       sweeter than honey to my mouth!
 104 I gain understanding from your precepts;
       therefore I hate every wrong path.

Attention students, obeying God's law makes you more intelligent.

Upon reading my previous statement, you may say, "Sure, obeying God's law can make me more intelligent regarding God's law, but I'm studying _________." My reply to that is that obedience to God's law makes you more intelligent in all fields, and here's why.

I operate off the concept that obeying His law makes a person more at peace. To truly obey His law is to come into close contact with Him and His character. To come in contact with His character means to have a greater sense of His love for us, and that gives us peace. Many researchers have discovered (and many of us know from personal experience) that emotional stress often inhibits memory function. So the stress reduction that comes from a close relationship with God enables to remember what we have studied. However, this psalm deals with more than simply an increase in academic knowledge.

This psalm deals with such intangibles as wisdom, insight, and understanding, which involve how we use the knowledge that we have. So not only will obeying God's law makes us more intelligent, but we will have greater wisdom, insight, and understanding, which as many of us have found is often a greater help than simply knowing facts and figures.

Have doubts that this works, try it out for yourself. Taste and see that the Lord is good, and you will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said! I agree with you and I can experience that in our daily lives. May our heavenly Father keeps us closer to Him and His Word. Love You!

    ReplyDelete