Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Standing Up

A great thing about the Bible is that you can learn new things from verses you've seen many times before.

I've recently been thinking and studying about temptation (here's why), and I came across a verse that is very familiar to me, perhaps too familiar.  It is 1 Corinthians 10:13.  The part that stood out to me is the last phrase that states " so that you can stand up under it."  Other translations use the word "bear" or "endure", but "standing up" works the best for me.

"Standing up" gives me a lot of positive associations when it comes to temptation.  The verse doesn't say that God will make the temptation magically disappear, but rather He will give us a way out so that we can stand up. To stand up means that the weight of the temptation is still there, but now so is the strength to deal with it.  The temptation is no longer crushing me, and by God's grace I have the power to move forward.

Thank you God for Your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment