Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bucket List Book Number Two


If you have a "bucket list" for books, this book should be number two.

Now you may have two or three questions regarding the previous statement.  If you don't know what a bucket list is, I borrowed the phrase from the title of a movie by the same name in which two terminally ill men compile a list of things to do before they "kick the bucket."  I am basically saying that there are certain books people should read at least once in there lifetime.  I don't have a complete list, but the book I am reviewing today should be no lower than number two.

Number one on the list, is by no surprise to those who read this blog, the Bible.  The Bible is one book that people should read through in its entirety at least once in their life.  They should have a plan other than simply starting at Genesis, and there are many Bible reading plans out there that should make such an undertaking more palatable.  Find a version you like, and a plan that you like and then stick to it.  You won't regret it.

To avoid any further suspense, the book I am reviewing is none other than the book The Desire of Ages by E.G. White, which is a biography of Jesus Christ.  Now reading through this book is in itself a project.  It is definitely not a book I would recommend reading in a short amount of time.  This book is long by most standards (835 pages), and is not one for casual reading.  I started reading the book around Christmas time last year (2010), and I finished a few days ago.  My original plan was to read a chapter a day and be finished in a couple of months, but I found out that this was not to be the case.  The thoughts presented in this book challenged me quite a bit, and I often found myself having to stop part way through a chapter to let myself absorb what I had read.

Some of you may still be wondering why is this book number two on my list.  The simple answer is that if you let it, this book will change your life.  One cannot spend that much time pondering the life of Jesus and not have it affect their life in one way or the other.  So if you want a life-changing experience, pick up this book (there are many places you can find it) and start reading.  Don't rush through it, but take your time and let yourself absorb what you have read.  The only regret you may have is not having done it sooner.

1 comment:

  1. I've read this book twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll have to do it again.

    ReplyDelete