Monday, July 11, 2011

What is In Your Hand?

Courtesy Pitts Theology Library
We make a lot of excuses not to follow God's plan for our lives, and those excuses mean very little to God.

Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The LORD did not appear to you’?”   Then the LORD said to him, “What is that in your hand?”
   “A staff,” he replied.
  The LORD said, “Throw it on the ground.”
   Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.  Exodus 4:1-3

I had to laugh a little bit when I read that text, and I'll tell you why.  God told Moses via the burning bush that He had decided to deliver His people from Egyptian bondage, and that Moses was to be the one to tell Pharaoh that this was going to happen.  Moses wasn't excited about this new assignment, so he tried to convince God that He should look elsewhere.  (You can find the entire conversation in Exodus 3 & 4.)  One by one Moses kept making excuses, and one by one God kept knocking them down.

  • Moses:  Who am I to go and say these things to Pharaoh?   
  • God:  You won't be alone.  I will be with you.
  • Moses:  What if the Israelites ask "What is this God's name?"   
  • God:  Tell them "I AM has sent me to you."
  • Moses:  What if they don't believe that You actually sent me?   
  • God:  Throw your staff on the ground, and it'll turn into a snake then back into a staff.  If that doesn't work, put your hand in your cloak and it will become leprous and then be healed.  And, if those two don't work, take some river water and pour it on the ground and it will become blood.
  • Moses:  You know, I've never been a good speaker.   
  • God:  Who made your mouth?  I will help you speak and teach you what to say.
  • Moses:  I still would feel better if you sent someone else.   
  • God:  Oh, alright!  Take your brother with you.  He's already on his way to meet you, and he will speak for you.

We may not be called like Moses to help deliver a nation from slavery, but we all could be doing more in regards to following God's plan for our lives.  God has already promised that He will be with us.  So stop making excuses, and do what He has asked you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment