Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Take it Easy

Courtesy rushtheiceberg.com
Sometimes the harder we try, the less we get done.

I decided recently that I wanted to get back to posting regularly on this blog.  I started writing, but kept getting stuck.  I got frustrated because I would start writing, but was getting nothing but unfinished drafts.  Then I figured out a solution to my problem.

I was reading a post on one of the blogs that I follow, and was struck by its sheer simplicity.  I realized that I was trying so hard to get things just right that I wasn't getting anything accomplished.  To use a baseball analogy, I was trying too hard to hit a home run, and kept striking out.

This principle can be applied to many things in life.  In our striving for excellence, we often think that excellence equals perfection which causes us undue stress.  That stress gets in the way of us accomplishing anything (esp. if its a task that involves creative thinking), and nothing gets done.  So while its good  to swing for fences, sometimes we need to relax and focus on simply hitting the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment