Monday, July 5, 2010

Dealing with Bad News

Psalm 112:1 & 7  1 Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands. 7 He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.

If we fear God we will have nothing to fear.

Psalm 112 is another praise psalm. It is interesting to note that the original Hebrew for "praise the LORD" is more familiar to you than you think. The Hebrew words are "Hallelu Yah" so you know more Hebrew than you think you know.

Verse 7 jumped out at me because it deals with bad news. I don't know which is worse, hearing the bad news or the anticipation that precedes it. I remember a relatively recent experience in which I was told by someone that they had bad news for me. I don't know what was racing faster, my heart or mind as I wondered what that news would be. However, here the psalmist states that the one who fears the LORD will have no fear of bad news. I am reminded of a previous psalm regarding fear in which I posted that when I am afraid I can turn to Him.

In a world full of bad news it is comforting to know that we don't have to be afraid, we can simply trust in the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment