Monday, July 19, 2010

Freedom and the Law

Psalm 119:25-32 
 Daleth
 25 I am laid low in the dust;
       preserve my life according to your word. 
 26
 I recounted my ways and you answered me;
       teach me your decrees.
 27 Let me understand the teaching of your precepts;
       then I will meditate on your wonders.
 28 My soul is weary with sorrow;
       strengthen me according to your word.
 29 Keep me from deceitful ways;
       be gracious to me through your law.
 30 I have chosen the way of truth;
       I have set my heart on your laws.
 31 I hold fast to your statutes, O LORD;
       do not let me be put to shame.
 32 I run in the path of your commands,
       for you have set my heart free.

Contrary to popular opinion, freedom and God's law go together.

There is a lot that could be said about this section, but I want to focus on verse 32 because it deals with two concepts that are not often associated with one another: commands & freedom. Here the psalmist states that because he has been set free he will keep God's commands.

Keeping the law becomes easier when we realize that we have been set free by God. That realization means we acknowledge that He desires what is best for us. It's not as though we keep the law out of sense of obligation, but rather out of a sense of gratitude for what He has done for us. To put it another way, we are more likely to take someone's advice if they have consistently helped us out in the past.

So as we continue to ponder God's law, let us remember that this law comes from a heart of infinite love; a heart that wants us to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment