Monday, July 26, 2010

Opposition

Psalm 119:49-56 

z Zayin
 49 Remember your word to your servant,
       for you have given me hope. 
 50
 My comfort in my suffering is this:
       Your promise preserves my life.
 51 The arrogant mock me without restraint,
       but I do not turn from your law.
 52 I remember your ancient laws, O LORD,
       and I find comfort in them.
 53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked,
       who have forsaken your law.
 54 Your decrees are the theme of my song
       wherever I lodge.
 55 In the night I remember your name, O LORD,
       and I will keep your law.
 56 This has been my practice:
       I obey your precepts.

When keeping God's law, we will undoubtedly encounter people who think we should do otherwise.

The verse that stood out the most to me in this passage is verse 51, especially the "without restraint" part. There is few things more annoying to a law-breaker than one who consistently keeps the law. Such a person is a rebuke to their lawlessness, and because of that they will take those negative feelings and turn them upon the law-keeper. We shouldn't allow this unrestrained mocking to turn us from keeping the law. We need to find comfort in God's commands.

Lord, help me to stay true to You regardless of what other people say and do to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment