Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Greater Cause for Celebration

Psalm 111:9  He provided redemption for his people; he ordained his covenant forever—holy and awesome is his name.


God gave us a greater reason to celebration than simply freedom from political oppression.

The verse I chose today comes near the end of a relatively short praise psalm. In it the author (who is anonymous) lists reasons to praise the LORD. I chose to focus on this verse because it mentions the most important item in the list, redemption. A major part of redemption is grace. I read recently that God's grace is twofold. It is both forgiveness for who I am and what I do, but also power for me to keep me from sinning.

We often think of redemption in light of the cross of Calvary, but it's important to note that this psalm was written thousands of years before Jesus even came to earth as a man. God provided redemption and grace before the cross. Even in the sinful pre-advent world God tilted things in our favor.

So today, as we ponder the freedoms we have here as a nation take the time to ponder the true and complete freedom we can have through His redemption. Now that's something we can really get excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment