Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blameless

Psalm 101:6  My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me.


There is more to living a righteous life than simply not doing bad things.

The theme of Psalm 101 is living a righteous life, and in it David talks about all the things he will not do in order to be blameless. However, in the verse I'm focusing on today, he mentions things that he will do in order to accomplish that goal. That is a key point. So much of Christianity, esp. conservative Christianity, is focused on things that we should not do. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't go to wild parties, etc., etc. We should be focused as much, if not more, on the things that we should be doing. I read somewhere that actions and items are more enticing when they are forbidden. The more they are forbidden, the more enticing they become. I'm sure we all can think of something that was forbidden when we were growing up and how exciting it was to actually partake in that item or action.

My point here is not that we should say everything is allowable, and not condemn sin. My point is to say that sin should not be our focus. The more we focus on "the faithful in the land" the less power sin will have in our lives. As the song goes, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full into His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."

1 comment: