Thursday, June 17, 2010

Our Comforter

Psalm 94:18-19  18 When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O LORD, supported me. 19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

The role of God as Comforter is not simply a New Testament concept.

For the majority of Christianity, the concept of God being a comforter is one most often associated with the so called God of the New Testament. This is not without reason, because the Holy Spirit referred to by Jesus as the Comforter. However, passages like this one in Psalms show that the God of the Old Testament is just as comforting as He is in the New Testament.

I find that refreshing to know that God does not change. In today's ever-changing world it is, well, comforting to know that I can find stability with God. Knowing this encourages me to depend on Him even more. Someone once said that past performance is a good indicator of future performance. If that is true, than I have nothing to fear with God because He was the Comforter in Old Testament times, He was the Comforter in New Testament times, and He will continue to be my Comforter in the present time.

Thank you, God for always being there when we need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment