Thursday, June 3, 2010

Stubborn Hearts

Psalm 81:11-12 "But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices.

Even God has His limits.

Today's verse is a solemn reminder that if we persist in having our own way with God, that He will give us what we want. I am reminded of a saying I heard a long time ago that states, "God gives us what we want to show us what we need." In the verses immediately preceding this one, God is asking His people to listen to Him when He tells them not to follow after foreign and alien gods, but they would not listen. If they were to listen to Him, He continues in verse thirteen, "how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes!" (vs. 14)

The personal lessons from this passage are obvious to me. Listening to God is always the best course of action to take. If I persist in not listening, God will give me over to my stubborn heart, and I know where that path will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment