Sunday, June 6, 2010

An Unfair Comparison

Psalm 84:10-11 Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Spending time with God is so much better than anything else.

I have a better understanding of this passage than I used to. I remember that when I first heard this verse, I thought it was nice, but it was only an intellectual acknowledgement. Recently, I have been becoming more aware of what God's presence is like through experience, and how it can impact my everyday life. This is due, in part, to a book I was reading, and just finished yesterday, entitled Escape to God: A Desperate Search for His Presence. It challenged me to be more surrendered to God, and to spend more time with Him.

The psalmist knew, both intellectually and experientially, that God would take care of him. My hope is that all of us will have a greater sense of God's care for us, because when that happens, nothing else compares to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment