Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Different Kind of Education

Psalm 90:12 Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom. (New Living Translation)

God can give us the education of a lifetime.

First off, I chose to use a different version of the Bible because the one I usually use (NIV) was actually a bit unclear. It stated, "Teach us to number our days aright . . ." and I had really no idea what that meant so I decided to check out the NLT and here we are. 

An interesting note about this psalm is that the subtitle states that it is "a prayer of Moses the man of God". If I had heard in the past the Moses had written a psalm I had well forgotten it by now, so it was a bit of a surprise to find his name associated with a psalm. Verse twelve isn't the first time he talks about the brevity of life, verses three through six compares mankind to passing dreams and grass that withers by the end of the day. That's all well and good, but how does knowing that help us to grow in wisdom?

The best that I can can come up with is that if one realizes that they have limited resources (whether it be money, food, etc.) they will often develop wisdom as to how to make the most out of those resources. If we allow God to teach us to realize that the brevity of our days, we will make the most of them. The first thing that comes to mind in making the most of my days is to severely limit the number of them I spend worrying, and spend the majority of them with a generally positive attitude. I'm sure you can think of many more ways to properly spend your days, but you get the point. Life is short, use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment