Monday, June 14, 2010

Resting in the Shadow

Psalm 91:1-2 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.

God is not out to get us. He wants to protect us. It is when we go outside of His will do we have the most problems. It is when we do not trust in His direction for us do we encounter the most trouble.

Living in a relatively hot and sunny area I have grown a greater appreciation for shadows. Even on days where it is not extremely hot, I still enjoy the occasional shade a tree or building provides. In this passage, the author states that those who dwell in God rest in His shadow. He too, saw the benefits of shade and shadow. The entirety of Psalm 91 talks about God's protection for those who take refuge in Him. Anytime we are tempted to doubt God's desire for our protection, we should read this psalm. This psalm runs totally counter the concept that God in the Old Testament is a vengeful God. He wants to protect us. So next time we find ourselves in a troubling situation, we should pause and remember to rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment