Sunday, May 23, 2010

Constant, Immediate Need

Psalm 70  Hasten, O God, to save me; O LORD, come quickly to help me. May those who seek my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace. May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!" turn back because of their shame. But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "Let God be exalted!" Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.

We need to recognize our constant, immediate of God.

I put the entire psalm this time because it's short, and because the verses I wanted to focus on were the first and the last ones. There are times when I recognize my need for God simply in a general sense (simply a mental acknowledgement), and there are times when I recognize my need for God in a specific and immediate sense.  Those immediate times are usually times when I find myself in trouble of my own devising, and need to be rescued. I'm thinking that if I were to realize more often that this immediate need was also a constant need (that is, I am in constant need of rescue), I could avoid many of the problems in which I find myself.

Life has enough problems of its own. I don't need to add to them by forgetting that I constantly need God to rescue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment