Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I am Not Alone

Psalm 55:16-19 But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.  Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.  He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me.  God, who is enthroned forever, will hear them and afflict them—men who never change their ways and have no fear of God.

It's empowering to know that God is always available.  That I am not alone in the battles of life.

I don't know about you, but when I call an organization, I like to talk to a person.  Automated systems are O.K., but when I need assistance with something, I prefer to have a flesh-and-blood human on the other end.  For example, not too long ago, I called a government organization to help clarify some paperwork I received.  Not only did I not get to talk with a person, I didn't even get an automated system where you press numbers for specific situations.  I got a recorded message, and then got disconnected.  Needless to say, I had a very empty feeling knowing that I was pretty much on my own.  Eventually things did get cleared up when I got a response to an email that I had sent about five days earlier, but things could have been less stressful if I had gotten help earlier.

In this passage, David states that when he asks God for help, the LORD saves him, and it doesn't matter when he calls, God is always there to ransom him from the battle.  Other versions of the Bible use words like "rescue", "deliver", and "redeem".  It's difficult for me to put into words the peace that I feel when I realize that in the battles I face in life He is always there to help me.

I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment