Thursday, May 6, 2010

What Can God Do for You?

Psalm 56:4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Whenever I am afraid, it would be good to remember what God can do for me in comparison to what man cannot do to me.

David was once again in trouble.  (As a side note, I find it interesting that here David is fleeing for his life and in all sorts of situations, and is writing these songs.  Not something the average person would be doing.)  However, even in the midst of all these situations, he turned his eyes toward God. I guess that what it means to be a man after God's own heart.  I see that as a challenge to all men, and women.  What do we do when we are in trouble?

In this verse David asked a very important question, "What can mortal man do to me?"  It's somewhat of a rhetorical question because the answer is obviously, "Not a whole lot."  I like to break it down a little bit as to what man can do in comparison to what God can do.
  • Man can take away my money, but God owns "the cattle on a thousand hills".
  • Man can take away my freedom, but if I have the truth, it will set me free.
  • Man can take away my family, but if faithful, I will see them again.
  • Man can take away my life, but He is "the resurrection and the life".
Thank you Lord for being the One I can always turn to when I am afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment