Friday, May 21, 2010

Our Burden Bearer

Psalm 68:19  Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.

If God bears our burdens, why are we so weighed down?

This verse is another reminder to me that I need to calm down and let God do what He wants to do. It says that He "daily bears our burdens", not once in a while, but daily.  If He is available everyday to bear my burdens, why do I so many times feel weighed down?  The answer is simple, I'm not letting Him bear my burdens, not surrendering my cares to Him, keeping them all to myself.

I'm reminded of the book The Pilgrim's Progress. For a good part in the beginning of the story, Christian, the main character, is weighed down by a heavy burden. When he comes to the cross of Christ, his burden falls off, rolls down the hill, and disappears into an empty grave.  I think that many times, for one reason or another, I either don't let that burden off my back, or actually chase after it down the hill!

So if we find ourselves weighed down, we should remember that God is the burden bearer, not us.

No comments:

Post a Comment