Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dealing with Doubt

Psalm 77:7-12 "Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?"Selah Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High." I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.

When we have doubts, a key word to know is "remember".

In this psalm I find Asaph having a rough time. He is crying out to God, losing sleep, refusing to be comforted, etc. Then he ask questions that many of us may have asked at one time or another. We start to doubt whether God is really out to help us or not. Thankfully, Asaph gives a solution to this problem, and that is remember. Remember the deeds of the LORD. Remember the miracles of long ago. Think about all that He has done. The psalm continues for many more verses in which Asaph remembers how God really is.

So, when I have a rough time, when I start to doubt, I need to remember who God really is, and then my perspective will change dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment