Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pointing the Other Way

Psalm 52:7 "Here now is the man who did not make God his stronghold but trusted in his great wealth and grew strong by destroying others!"

My reading of the Bible has truly taken a turn for the better from the practice of looking how each Bible passage applies to my life instead of applying it to other people.  This is a passage where I had to make a conscious effort to do just that.

It would be very easy to read this passage and apply it to somebody else because I can think of many other people I could apply it to.  Wall Street bankers are the first that come to mind, esp. since they were prominently featured in recent news articles, or even people that run oil companies like the one responsible for that giant oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  The more challenging way to read this passage is to apply it to myself.

While I don't have great wealth, I can trust in the little wealth that I have instead of trusting in God.  I can also attempt to grow strong, to reach a higher level, by speaking evil (possibly destroying the reputation) of other people.

So yes, this verse could definitely apply to these other people, but that doesn't help my spiritual growth.  The only way the Bible will help me grow is if I point the finger the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment