Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Listen to Me

Psalm 61:1  Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.

The boldness of David's prayers should be an inspiration to us all.

Often when I read a psalm, I have to think a little bit to figure out what verse I want to focus on, but not this time.  As soon as I read verse one, I knew that it was the verse I wanted to talk about in this post.  Sometimes the power of a statement comes from what is not said rather that what is said.  What is not present in this verse is the politeness, the deference, dare I say, the courtesy that one might expect when addressing the Almighty.

I was taught when I was young, and reminded of now that I am older, to be polite when talking with people.  Don't make demands of people, say please and thank you, etc.  Then here comes David basically throwing all that out the window; demanding that God hear his cry and listen to his prayer. It practically leaped off the page, and told me that I need to be bolder when talking with God.  It's a challenging thought, to say the least.

Lord, thank you for reminding me that it is O.K. to be bold when talking with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment