Friday, May 7, 2010

Praise During Disaster


Psalm 57:7,8 My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.  Awake, my soul!  Awake, harp and lyre!  I will awaken the dawn.

These verses took on new meaning when I realized the situation in which they were written.

The preamble to this psalm states that it was written by David "When he had fled from Saul into the cave."  I'm not sure exactly what cave it is referring to because there are two stories where David fled from from Saul into a cave.  However, think about it, here is David hiding in a cave from someone bent on his destruction, and he is singing and asking for accompaniment!  I had always heard these verses in the context of a praise and worship band where everyone is happy and having a good time, not when people are fleeing for their life.

The more I read the Psalms, the greater respect I have for David.  What can I say except I want to me more like that.

Help me Lord to praise you especially when things are going poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment