Monday, May 17, 2010

Ultimate Defender


Psalm 64:6-8  They plot injustice and say, "We have devised a perfect plan!" Surely the mind and heart of man are cunning. God will shoot them with arrows; suddenly they will be struck down. He will turn their own tongues against them and bring them to ruin; all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.

God is the ultimate defender of the weak.

Again I find David venting his complaints to God.  This time he is talking about how evil people conspire against him.  I find it interesting the metaphors that he uses.  In verse three he talks about how the evildoers "sharpen their tongues like swords".  He understood the power for destruction that our tongues can have. He continues by saying how they plot evil against innocent people and encourage others to join them.  They begin to think rather highly of themselves, thinking that they devise perfect plans. However, when God comes into the picture, things change.  God shoots arrows at them, and their sharpened tongues become weapons of their own destruction.

I look around at all the man-made destruction of body and soul out there and it saddens me.  I can be encouraged by the fact that sooner or later, these evildoers will bear the results of their crimes against humanity.  I also can be warned by the fact that if, God forbid, I become like those mentioned in this psalm, that sooner or later God will be coming after me. Either way, the truth remains that if I find myself being attacked, I can turn to God, because He is my Ultimate Defender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment